Wetherspoons in Hitchin
  • What is the consensus about there being a Wetherspoons in Hitchin? 
    Is this going to change the character of Hitchin? Surely it will have an impact on the other pubs in Hitchin in much the same way that a Tescos would have an impact on the towns businesses. 
    Do we really want another pub selling cheap beer in large quantities leading to rowdy behavior in the town centre? I think if we are not careful, Hitchin is going to end up as a mirror image of every other soulless high street in Britain and a no go area at night.
    I am all for encouraging new businesses into Hitchin as I hate seeing empty shops but is this the best we can expect.

• nigelappnigelapp September 2012
    Jim, 

Thanks for your post. As a follow up, for those that don't use Twitter. The following comment was received via Twitter.

Lisa Courts ‏@lisaco42

@HitchinForum not needed it will destroy the town there are enough that are struggling to make a living as it is.

Lisa is the Lib Dem Councillor for Hitchin Bearton.

• Sarah_G September 2012
    I am worried that lots of companies in Hitchin are closing down and we are going to end up with a ghost town if we are not careful. As each place closes we lose jobs. I like the character of Hitchin but we need to be careful that we don't end up with a beautifully preserved, empty town. As each shop closes, jobs are lost with it. 
    Dont get me wrong. I dont like the idea of a Weatherspoons but I dont like the idea of an empty town either.

• maffkingmaffking September 2012
    It's not my favourite chain but it will fill an empty building, generate jobs and maybe even revitalise the town centre. Too much paranoia and snobbery around I think
Add a Comment

Welcome to the Hitchin Forum!

If you would like to take part in discussions, please sign in or Register below! Registration is instant!

Sign In Apply for Membership
Follow @HitchinForum